Friday, September 14, 2018

On His Altar of Rest and Peace


I’ve come to know the depth of anguish for a loved one and friend who has walked away from God or never come to know Jesus’ saving power in his life. When a loved who once gave his/her heart to Christ later faces the spellbinding deception of Satan and turns away from God, family and friends watch and fall on their knees before the Lord asking Him to call and convict that person to return to Him. Months turn into years and before you know it 3, 5, and 10 years or more have passed, and still the loved one has not turned back to God.

When we get to this point, we feel we have said everything in our heart begging God to intercede for that person. We feel we have used every word in the English language to bring the person before God. Possibly we wonder why we should continue to pray, not because we give up or don’t care about the loved one, but because no more words can be spoken than we have already said to the Father.

Next we remember Jesus’ story of the insistent widow and understand we should not stop praying for this loved one. But what more can we say? How can we express anew our heart’s desire for the person to return to the Lord, their Salvation? We remember, too, the earnest prayers of a righteous person avails much (James 5:16). Because of our love for the person, our love for God, and our obedience and faithfulness to Him, we will continue to pray. But how do we pray when all the words have been said?

I have reached this point. After hearing people for years saying they have prayed for the salvation of a loved one for 5, 10, or 20 years, I wonder how they could be so faithful in praying. What I have learned in my own experience is we do it because of love-love of the person and love of God. I, like many with and before me, reached the mental impasse of what more can I say when I have exhausted the words of the English language.

At this point, I remember and realize words are unnecessary. Paul taught about this state of being unable to express our hearts to God. He said in Romans 8:26, “In the same way, the Spirit also helps our weakness, for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.” [NASB] Words are unnecessary for intercession with the Father. The love and intent of our hearts speaks louder than feeble and insufficient words from our mouths.

Another thing I learned as I reached this impasse goes alongside what Paul wrote. This lesson did not come from study or from someone’s wisdom. It came from desperation as I sought the Lord. At the point I realized I could not put adequately into words what I desired the Lord to do and felt stymied by words, I threw my all before Him. I mentally in prayer put my heart on the altar before Him, opened it for Him and said, “See…Hear.” This was all I could think to do. It was my fragrant aroma to Him.

As I consider these two things, isn’t this the ultimate expression of interceding for someone? True intercession for someone includes desperate love for the person and for God, and putting our all on the altar before Him. Our all is our heart and life. It includes everything we are and have. What would you give for your loved one to come to know the Lord as Savior or to return to the Lord?

If you have come to the end of words in prayer, you are at the end of yourself. This is desperate love of the person. When you seek God even at the end of words and place your heart on the altar, you show you desperately love God because you know He is faithful to His covenant with you. He loves you enough to listen and answer your prayers. God provides each believer with His Spirit for such times as these-when our love is great, our faith in God remains strong, and our feeble vocabulary runs out.

At this point, recall Jesus’ words, “Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:23 [NASB]) Jesus did not say this only to sinners. He said this to all people, believers and unbelievers. At the point where we lay down our lives by offering our hearts on the altar and exhausting our vocabulary in earnest prayer so the Spirit intercedes for us, we have come to the end of ourselves. We have begun to seek the rest and peace of Christ.

When our wills join God’s will, our energy comes exclusively from Him and originates and resides in Him alone. Why? Because of His love and faithfulness to us, His children. And, because of our sole reliance upon Him.

For whom have you been praying for months and years? Have you exhausted your words? Have you grown tired in intercession for him/her? Have you come to the end of what you know except that God is love and He is faithful? That is when you can rest in Him by laying your will, your heart, on His altar. His Spirit will intercede for you. God hears. He is busy at work bringing the person you love to Him for the first time. He is busy working to bring your loved one back to Him.

Allow your love for and trust in God to bring you to the end of your striving.
Accept His rest as you lay your will on the altar of His rest and peace.

Oh, Lord God, I am tired. I am weary. I am heartsore for a loved one. I have prayed, and I trust You will hear and answer my prayer because You love this person, too. You want a personal relationship with each person and will not give up on reaching out to and convicting lost and rebellious people. Today, I come to the end of myself and seek rest in You. I give what is left of myself to You. I give You my heart, my will, and my love. My loved one I give to You. No words are left that I have not used as I prayed. You know my heart of love for this person and for You. I seek my rest in You, trusting You. Amen.