Sunday, July 28, 2019

Aligned by Cataclysm


Aligned by Cataclysm


Crash of waves. Roll of thunder.
A mighty cataclysm of force will be
The moment of change, the reason of strain,
Status quo will cease to be.

Change, they say, is inevitable;
If that’s so, why do we battle against it so?
Where battle is greatest, our fight rages hardest;
Why won’t we let it go?

Some people grow with little fight
While others roar against the flow.
Staying in calm waters is peaceful they say,
Yet stagnant and stale it grows.

Change for change sake is often unwise,
While learning from life’s storms is wise.
“Come follow Me,” the Teacher said,
Does not mean following as blind.

It’s a willingness to trust with faith
The One of whom God’s prophets told;
It’s a leaning completely upon His grace
At first timid, then more bold.

“Come follow Me,” makes one giddy at first,
Then recognition of what that means
Can cause doubt, indecision, and rebellion;
Yet without storms growth is rarely seen.

Doubt, indecision, and disobedience,
“My choice,” we often say,
But if we’re to grow and if we’re to go,
Then to the Master we must obey.

“What’s that?” you say, I hear nothing now,
The heavens seem closed to my prayers.
God’s shut His door, His ears closed, it feels.
Please God don’t leave me here.
I want You; I choose You.
How can I change? What have I done?
How can I grow like You?

“Listen carefully. Have peace. Walk My way.
I’ve been waiting. Follow Me through the waves.
It lasts mere moments in history. Trust Me now.
Share the burden with Me. I’ll show you how.
Come on. You have it. Keep your eyes on Me.
You are growing, keep walking and see.
The cataclysm, a great force, don’t resist.
Grow with the storm. Change, don’t just exist.
I’m calling you to more than each breath.
I call you to follow, tell, and show.”

What greater purpose? What better change? Why did I say no?


Lord, those storms strong, thunder peals loud, waves raged over my head;
In and by them You brought me through.
Now I will never be the same, I hear You call my name
Call and grow me, take and mould me, I’m Yours to use.

For growth does come through cataclysm
Through it I’m more nearly aligned with Thee.

--Gail Suratt Davis
July 27, 2019