Thursday, June 7, 2018

Ask in My Name




 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.” (John 14:12-15 [NASB])

So often, we come to God and ask for things and wonder when He will give that for which we ask or why hasn’t He given what I asked. You claim John 14:13 saying, “I asked in Jesus name and prayed a prayer like this. ‘Lord God, You know my needs and You know I need this now. I cannot go on. I ask this request in Jesus’ name.’” We must consider our prayers and four things Jesus set before His disciples in verse thirteen.

We need to consider what kind of prayer Jesus spoke of here. Is that need or desire something for which we need so intensely we would humble ourselves and beg? Do we crave this answer to prayer like we crave the relationship with God the prayer supposes? Do we require the relationship with God that prayer implies? When Jesus taught the disciples about prayer in this passage, He began with verse two showing the depth of relationship He has with the Father. He said in verse two, “I go to prepare a place for you in My Father’s house.” To make ready a place for someone in one’s house means a very close relationship exists. Understanding this, we must realize what Jesus said in the first part of verse thirteen. The asking comes with the understanding a close, intimate relationship exists between the Father and the disciple. When that is the case, the craving the person does is likely for what God wills. One’s asking is in line with the will of the Father.

The second thing needing understanding in this verse is Jesus said, “Ask in My name.” Asking in Jesus’ name is not a magic phrase to make all one’s dreams come true. It is a power statement. When Jesus told His disciples to ask in His name, He said to ask realizing and knowing personally everything which His name includes. Remember His stature, His rank, and everything which His name involves, recalling the power He has over demons, life, death, sin, resurrection, sickness, health, provisions, hope, love, etc. Jesus meant each disciple must be in a close personal relationship that craves communion with God. This supposes a relationship that desires His will and asks based on Jesus’ authority on earth and in heaven, knowing He has the power to do what you ask.

For the third point in this verse, Jesus said when His disciples ask craving for continued communion with God so what is asked for is God’s will, and knowing well Jesus has the power to cause that for which one asks, He will do it. This “do” is not just an everyday doing like working in the yard, but comes with divine appointment and ordination. That for which you crave in the Father’s will and ask of Him in the power of Jesus, the Savior will appoint and ordain it to be done according to the Father’s will. He has power over heaven and earth and gives divine promise that whatever is in accordance to God’s will eventually will come to happen. “Doing” understands power resides in the person to effect the action.

The final point of this verse says these types of requests to the Father and their resultant answers will glorify the Father. The Son will not do anything that doesn’t bring glory to Him. What is this glory? Is it glorifying to God just say off the cuff, “Hey, God gave it to me,” then not live a life that supports the statement, but which blatantly shows continual, intentional disobedience to the Father’s will and commandments? No. Verse fifteen speaks about this. If one does not keep Jesus’ commandments, one does not love Him. Therefore, one is not in a close relationship with God and the cravings for which he or she begs is not necessarily in God’s will. Jesus said, for Him to answer any prayer, if must glorify the Father. Glorifying means raising up the name of God so people can be in awe and wonder. To glorify God means to praise Him for who He is and what He’s done. It means to celebrate and honor the Lord and proclaim His excellences. When a person glorifies the Father, he or she recognizes all good things received came not of his or her own doing, but from the Father and so testifies to His great mercy and grace.  

The person who glorifies the Father loves the Son and obeys His commandments. This person who obeys His commandments loves Him. A person who loves Jesus and obeys the Lord’s commands is the one in a close, intimate relationship with God, and recognizes the power of the Lord to cause that for which he or she asks in prayer. Finally, Jesus said this person who craves what God craves and will glorify the Father is the one for whom He will ordain to happen what a person prays for and upon what the Father and believer agree.

Ask having a deep relationship with God. God desires to have a deep relationship with you.

Dear Lord above, help me see where I have not grasped the depth of a relationship with You. Help me seek this relationship. Forgive me for my selfish intentions that have been in the way of what You want to do in me and through me. Make me useful for Your service for your glory. Amen.