Monday, October 8, 2018

In Their Words: Claudine and Mado's Stories


As in the other stories from refugees, Claudine and Mado recall traumatic days. Though their lives and those of their families have been difficult since fleeing their home country of the Democratic Republic if the Congo, they still find hope and joy. Is it possible for each of us to learn something from the lives of refugees about expecting and experiencing God’s hand of protection and provision? Read below and hear the voices of these two women.

Claudine

Question 1: What was life like in your home country?

Life in my country was good until I lost my parents. I had no one to support my studies for a computer degree. I didn’t finish the degree because there was a huge misunderstanding between my parents and their families before they died. Afterward, I was chased from my parent’s house with my young brothers and sisters by our uncles. Fortunately for us, the church that I attended decided to take care of us by arranging for a shelter and our other needs.

Question 2: What made you decide to leave your country?

The reason I left my home country was I was wanted by the government because of the strikes and protests organized by the youth commissions against the war, crime, rape, and killing of the people of the country’s provinces. Some of the organizers were shot and killed by my country’s soldiers. Others escaped to different countries. I was among those who escaped to South Africa. That happened in 2009. My husband followed me to South Africa.

Question 3: What has life been like in your host/adopted country?

Life in South Africa is difficult since I gave birth to my 3 children. My husband works as a car guard in a parking lot and he does not earn much money. I work in the community at the grocery store as a counter hand at the bakery. The pay is very little for surviving, especially since pay day is only at month end. I must think about rent, electricity, water, food, children’s transportation and school fees, and other needs. My husband and I are just working for rent, water, and electricity. Sometimes we struggle for food, but we always survive by the grace of God.

Mado

Question 1: What was life like in your home country?

When we lived in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the army and prejudiced people would come to my husband and threaten to kill him because his mother was from the Tutsi tribe of Rwanda. They fled Rwanda during the war when he was a child. He grew up in DRC, but still they wanted to kill him. Sometimes when they came to our home to threaten to kill him, they would rape me. I still can’t talk about those times.

Question 2: What made you decide to leave your country?

We came to South Africa because of fear for my husband’s life, fear that I would be raped again, and fear for our six children’s futures. I was a teacher in the DRC. One day we ran for our lives and I did not think to bring my teaching certificates.

Question 3: What has life been like in your host/adopted country?

Now in South Africa, I have 8 children. My children go to a Catholic school and I pay some of the tuition fees by being a volunteer teacher. I also have a tent covering a table from which I sell food in small bags that my countrymen like to eat. I sell this food outside one of the city’s busy train stations. It does not give enough money for us to eat more than one meal a day and to rent one room in an apartment for my whole family of ten people.

Four years ago, a missionary surprised us when she brought food for my whole family to last for a month. On that morning, my children fought over the last tablespoon of porridge. My husband asked, “What are we going to do?” I said, “God will provide.” God provided that very day when the missionary came to our room. She brought a month’s supply of food for all ten of us to eat three times a day.

Conclusion

Mado and Claudine faced atrocities most of us will only ever hear about, but not experience. Their lives are not easier regarding employment and paying for rent, food, and utilities. Claudine and Mado and their families face prejudice and discrimination from the nationals in their adopted countries. Yet, they expect God to intervene for them. These ladies know who the Provider is. Mado and Claudine, too, help their fellow countrymen and woman who are in desperate need by sharing their supplies, too. All the while, they give God glory when He provides in ways each of us take for granted.