Saturday, October 20, 2018

In Their Words: Miriam's and Etienne's Stories



 As with the other refugee stories related to you earlier, refugees and asylum-seekers told these stories directly to me. I used three questions to guide the conversation, but other than that, the people told of their experiences as a refugee and/or asylum-seeker. As much as possible, the words are exactly their own. I have corrected the grammar.

Miriam’s Story


What was life like in your home country?

My life in my country was not good. Because of the war we had to move place to place.

What made you decide to leave your country?

The reason I left my country is that from 1992 to 1999 we had a big war and the soldiers came to the houses forcing the young men to go into the army. If the soldiers came to your house, they stole things and killed people. If they found a young lady, they raped her. I was one of the women who the soldiers raped. They raped in front of my parents, sisters, and brother. That is why I left my country in 1999.

What has life been like in your host/adopted country?

 My life in my host country of South Africa is not good. I have been here since 1999. The situation is very bad. I was robbed many times, but the last time it happened in my home. We went to open a case with the police. Soon those robbers found out and got very upset. They came to warn us if we continue with the case one member of the family would die, so we had to drop the case. Still, those bad men never stopped asking about money or anything because they know my home. I am always stressed. Just imagine. My child was born here. The principals and boards of governors of the schools did not accept and let her go to high school. Thank God who always helps us. I have no place to go back home in my own country because my parents died because of what happened to me. I would like to go home, but I can’t.

Etienne’s Story


What was life like in your home country?

When I was a little boy, I thought I wanted to become a lawyer or teacher, but man can purpose in his heart and God provides and leads. I completed primary school and secondary school. In 1993, God called me to serve Him. From 1994 through now, I am a pastor.

What made you decide to leave your country?

A decision came from God about my job. In April 2016, my church appointed me to go to Cape Town as an evangelist. Remember, there is a problem with the political system in the DRC with our president. He sent a crowd of people to impose on me their system of election and their choice of candidate, not mine. I couldn’t mix the people of God with their political system. I refused their compelling. They wanted to persecute me, so my church sent me to Cape Town to be an evangelist.

What has life been like in your host/adopted country?

I like to live in South Africa to preach the Good News of God. Yet, if God wants my next step to be somewhere else, like America, Europe, Asia, etc., I will go.