Friday, April 19, 2019

Weak Strengths


“A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.” Ephesians 6:10 [NLT]

Often, we get caught unaware and sin or do wrong things in the areas of our life where we are strongest. Why is that? We don't pray over the areas of our life in which we are strongest.

Someone may say, I am strong in the gifting of finance. Then when they don't pray, they don't give a portion back to God.

Another person may say, I am strong about praying. Then when they hit a personal wall, they melt in fear or frustration and forget to go to God for their strength and guidance over or around that wall.

Still another person might say, I am strong in teaching, but then forget to rely on the Lord for guidance as to what needs to be taught or highlighted while teaching, or possibly even doesn't prepare because that person has taught the subject so much.

Our human nature is to strive to make ourselves stronger in the areas we are weakest, to grow and become strong in more than one area of our lives. Yet, when they forget to shore up and keep giving and using our strengths to and for the LORD, our strengths become weaknesses because we have made ourselves our own gods.

Consider Joab in 1 Kings 2. He supported the priest, Adonijah, but not Absalom. Instead he should have supported God and His anointed king, David. Joab, in his own wisdom, with his strength as commander of the army chose who would be his leader, and it wasn't God or his king. The Kings' Chronicler told of this in 1 Kings 2:28.

Oswald Chambers said it this way, "Unguarded strength is actually a double weakness, because that is where the least likely temptations will be effective in sapping strength. The Bible characters stumbled over their strong points, never their weak ones." (My Utmost for His Highest, April 19th)


What are your strengths? Those are your greatest weaknesses. Pray for them and the other parts of your being so that you will not succumb to temptation to keep yourself to yourself instead of giving your whole life to the LORD. Only He makes you strong and only He can make you withstand trials and persecution.

A final word: be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all the strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh and blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark work, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. (Ephesians 6:10-12 [NLT])

Lord, I find myself looking to my own self as my guide and not seeking You and Your will. I consider the gift You gave me as mine and I walk in the knowledge that I am strong in this area. Yet, I do not pray over the gift You gave me. I do not dedicate it to You. I do not guard it from Satan’s devices. Lord, forgive me for walking in my own ways and making myself my own god deciding what I need to do because I am strong. Forgive me for not giving this strength, this gift, back to You for Your service and purposes. Lord, forgive me for not safeguarding and growing the talent You gave me. You have a purpose for it and I must be a good steward of it. Lord, help me learn how to strengthen the gift You have given me. Help me to remember to give it back to You in thanks and as an offering for Your service. Help me remember, You are God and I am not. Remind me to pray over my strengths like I pray over my weaknesses. May they be used for Your glory and purposes all my days. Amen.