Friday, January 31, 2020

Flask in the Desert


A great number of people heard of all that He was doing and came to Him. (Mark 3:8b [NASB])
Imagine you have been walking in the desert for two weeks and you ran out of water two days ago. You come to a place with nothing except sand in sight then see a bulging flask. You cannot survive without fluids more than another day, so do you determine what is in the flask? Do you tell yourself the flask is for someone else? Do you drink of the water and live to tell the story?

Why all these questions? Because these may be the same types of questions the people in Mark 3:7-12 had. Four groups of beings meet Jesus in this Scripture passage–the crowd of people, the disciples, the Pharisees and scribes, and the demons (unclean spirits). Which of these beings are you like?

The crowd that clamored toward Jesus came from all over Judah, Israel, and from Phoenicia. These people had heard of Jesus healing people by Him touching them and by people touching the hem of His cloak. These people fell over themselves to fall upon Jesus so that His power would heal them. They clamored to see what would happen around Jesus this time. Most of the people did not journey to see the Son of man, as Jesus called Himself in Mark’s gospel. They came to watch the “magic”. They did not trust Jesus was the prophesied Messiah.

The disciples walked with Jesus to the sea because He called them to follow Him. As of that time, many of them did not believe in Him as the Son of man, as Daniel prophesied in Daniel 7:13-14. They followed Jesus because He commanded them and He spoke with authority, healed people, and cast out demons. This man, Jesus, amazed them. Mark often used these exclamations of amazement.

The Pharisees and scribes had watched and listened as Jesus taught with authority, healed with power and authority, cast out demons with power and authority, and challenged them about who He is, the Son of man. Jesus further explained to them He has authority over the sabbath. From Mark 3:1, these Pharisees and scribes sought a way to remove Jesus and His power over the people. They did not want their own power to decrease by Jesus becoming the leader the people followed. The Pharisees determined to arrest Jesus for breaking the law so they could kill Him. They reasoned by doing that, they could regain their power and authority over the people. The Pharisees and scribes did not recognize Jesus as the Son of man or Son of God.

The unclean spirits (demons) from Mark 1:23-3:12 proclaimed Jesus to be the Son of man and the Son of God, then fell at His feet in prostration. Each time they said these things, Jesus commanded them to be quiet and tell no one who He was. It is in His nature to have authority and power over unclean spirits. The demons recognized Jesus was the Messiah. They proclaimed it, but Jesus knew the time had not yet come for people to know Him as such. He didn’t want the demons’ confession. The demons did not obey Jesus. Their father is Satan, and they obeyed him.

Jesus wants the confession of people with changed hearts because of belief in Him as the Son of God. He wants obedience from love of these people. God sent Jesus to earth as a man because of His love for all people. He wants none to be lost from Him eternally. John said this in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

Consider this question again. Which of these beings are you like–the disciples, the crowd of people wanting to see or touch Jesus, the Pharisees and scribes who seek to arrest and kill Him, or the demons who recognize who Jesus is, but who don’t give themselves to Him in loving obedience? Or, are you the person who recognizes Jesus as the Son of God, confesses Him as your Savior, and obeys Him because of your love for Him? If you are like this last person, you are the one who sees the flask, recognizes it holds water, and drinks it for continued life?

Will you see the Water and drink for salvation and eternal life?
Jesus is the Water of eternal life.

Lord, I have clamored to go see the healers, the prophets, and the apostles, but I didn’t go to see, meet, and accept You into my life. I was watching the sensational things that happened and praised the man or woman for what he or she did. Please forgive me for seeking things and not You. Please forgive me for hearing about You, but not seeking You. Forgive me for recognizing my life is contrary to Your ways and not wanting to let You have the power and authority over my life. I was wrong in all these things. I wanted to live the way I wanted to live. I wanted to be my own boss, but Lord, I wasn’t my own boss then; Satan was. I’m tired of the fighting in life and tired of trying to live my own way. Forgive me my rebellion, Lord. Forgive me for ignoring You when you came to me. Lord, I do not deserve Your love, forgiveness, grace, mercy, or salvation, but, Lord, I desperately want You now. I accept and confess You as my Lord and Savior. Cleanse me and make me new in Your image. Use me for Your purposes to bring You glory. I will follow You and proclaim You to the world. Amen.