Monday, January 6, 2020

The Importance of Temple Time



Why were looking for me? Didn’t you know I had to be in My Father’s house? Luke 2:49b [NASB]

Such simple words. We each could have said them when our parents wondered where we were and found us at a neighbor’s house. We would have said, “Didn’t you know I would be at the neighbor’s house? Where else would I be?” Our child could have said these words when we looked for them and he or she was with his or her best friend. He or she would have said, “Didn’t you know I would be with my friend? Where else would you look for me?”

Such innocent words, but the heart of each person is in them. If a parent knew the heart of the child, that parent would know if that child was not with them, he or she would be with the person who is second most important to them.

Jesus took it a step farther, and helped his parents grow in understanding. After his parents left Jerusalem, they could not find him among the caravan going to Galilee. They returned to Jerusalem searching for Jesus for three days and found Him in the temple answering and asking questions of the teachers. If His parents understood in their heart what was most dear to Him as a child after themselves, they would have known exactly where to find Him. Near His Father, His closest relationship besides them.

Take this a step farther. If someone is looking for you, where would they find you? Would it be in your quiet place or in the church in God’s presence? What is most important to you? What holds your heart? For Jesus, it was being with His Father.