Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Chosen


"You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.” (John 15:16 [NASB])

This Bible verse reminds me of when I was a child playing with the other children on our street. About 14 of us would get together after school and on weekends to play in the front yards of each neighbor. Sometimes, we would play football, ride our bikes, skate, skateboard, and play hopscotch or hide and seek. No yard was out of bounds. We had a carefree time just being kids, except for one thing. Choosing sides for the teams. I don’t know about you, but I was always nervous about the choosing of teammates. I was afraid a team captain would not choose me until last, when one of them had to choose me. For my fragile ego, this fear overrode the anticipation of fun.

Jesus explains throughout the Gospels that before He came to walk on the earth and we had the chance to hear, see, and be with Him, He loved us. Jesus loved us enough to lay aside the comforts of His heavenly home to live with us. That speaks volumes. What speaks louder to the child still in me is that Jesus chose me. He did not have to say, “Eeny meeny miny, mo.” I was not the first or the last, but I was chosen; I am chosen. What makes this child melt into God’s arms is what Jesus said in verse fifteen. He said, “I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.” Not only am I chosen, but I am His friend. An endearing title.

Time still remains for people to accept Jesus’ calling of their name to be on His team. No one will be the last chosen by Him until His return to earth to take His followers to His kingdom. Jesus will call His “friends” at that time to follow Him. He will make them perfect and complete. Right now, the captains stand opposite each other and call out the names of people to be on their teams. Only two options exist. Towards which captain will you walk and make your allegiance, Jesus or self?