Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Hide and Seek



“In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you.” (John 14:2 [NASB])
I remember as a child playing hide and seek. The biggest fear I had then was being found. Sometimes those hiding places became hideouts as I got older and faced hard realities of my young life. Eventually, as an adult, I found other places to hide. At first, as a child, I hid to play a game. Next, hiding was not a game, but a life-preserving action.

Jesus spoke to His disciples about fear and hope. He had just told them during their supper that one of them would betray Him and the others would desert Him. The disciples anxiously looked around, wondering who the betrayer was about whom Jesus spoke and fearing what Jesus said about their desertion. Would they run to a hiding place?

Jesus began this chapter with the words, “Do not let you heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me” (14:1). He ended the chapter giving them peace, reminding them they could not get true peace from the world, and explaining He will do the Father’s work even though it seemed scary.

The men would go hide after the soldiers took Jesus to the Jewish leaders. Their hiding places would not hide them for long because they’d have to face the reality of what was occurring to their Teacher, the Son of God. Yet, Jesus offered them a place of permanent refuge at the beginning of this consoling chapter. The peace they could get from the world was fleeting, and what it offered them during that time would not give them unending protection. Jesus’ peace does not fade or fluctuate with eras or epochs. The disciples could find it only in Jesus and in God’s house of many rooms.

That game of hide and seek I played as a child helped me realize I needed and wanted a place of solace. I carried that need and want for solace with me as I grew and faced the realities of life. Sometimes this seeking enabled me to find ephemeral peace. I eventually understood these hiding places and the peace found in them are transitory. Enduring peace can only be found in God’s dwelling places within His house. Only in this place can I find His peace. I would not have to flee my hiding place and run to safety before being tagged. Living in God’s house with His peace is my place of safety, my shelter in the storm.

No matter how old you are, you play a form of hide and seek. Sometimes you hide from your past and other times you hide from frightening current realities that assault your senses and steal your peace. As you hear Jesus knocking on your heart’s door, your sense of panic may rise. Perhaps, you do not want to let Him in. You fear to change from what you know, even though living often brings fear and panic to your heart. Possibly, you try to hide from Jesus, but He knows where you are. Jesus sees you. He loves you and offers the best anyone could ever have or need.

Unlike the game you played as a child where the finder determinedly searched to find you and broke into your safe hiding place, Jesus does not force Himself into your heart. “Peace, I leave with you. My peace, I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, nor let it be fearful,” He said (14:27). Jesus offers His peace, the lasting true peace that comes from knowing and being in a relationship with Him. He offers His hiding place, a place in His Father’s house where no evil, frightening, or peace-stealing thing can take you from His hand.

Jesus prepared a place for you in His Father’s house. You will never have to run to safety. You will already be safe in the Father’s house. Make Him the sole source of your peace. Accept His offer of life in the Father’s house.

“You are my hiding place. You preserve me from trouble. You surround me with sons of deliverance. Selah. [Stop and think about that.]”  (Psalm 32:7 [NASB])