Saturday, July 9, 2022

Listening to His Voice

 


“Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul. Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; I take refuge in You. Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God; Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground. For the sake of Your name, O Lord, revive me. In Your righteousness, bring my soul out of trouble. And in Your lovingkindness, cut off my enemies and destroy all those who afflict my soul, For I am Your servant.”

(Psalms 143:8-12 [NASB])

The psalmist basically asked,

Lord, do these things only You can do because You are good. 

Let me hear Your voice.

Teach me to obey You.

Lead me in a way that I do not stumble.

Revive me when I grow faint from troubles.

Bring me out of trouble.

Cut off my enemies.

Destroy those who assault my soul.

Why do I ask? Because I am Your servant.

------------------------------

The psalmist can ask these things from God because he knows God can do them. He’s experienced God doing them and has heard about God’s goodness and power. He trusts God completely with his life. Because of what he knows and believes about God, he can declare himself as God’s follower, His slave.

Do we know God well enough that we entrust our life to Him?

Do we know Him well enough that we proclaim ourselves as His servant,

one who recognizes He is God, and we are far below Him in stature and

one who knows only God can do these things we need, so we ask?

Are you listening for God’s voice?

Are you listening to God’s voice?

Are you obeying what He says?

Are you trusting in God’s leading?

Are you trusting God will revive you when you are weary and overwhelmed?

Are you trusting God will cut off your enemies and lead you out of trouble?

Are you trusting solely in God to defeat Satan’s assaults against you?

-----------------------------------

What God can do and does is far greater than what people and Satan can do. Only God can defeat these adversaries.

You may trust in the wisdom, knowledge, and understanding of other people, but God’s wisdom, knowledge, and understanding surpasses even the wisest person. 

You cannot even trust in yourself to teach, lead, provide, revive, and rescue yourself.

Listen for and to God’s voice and obey Him. He only does good and gives good things.

Decide for yourself now whom you will serve - yourself, other people, or God. Only one is almighty, all-knowing, and good. 

Decide for yourself; “as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24:15)