Wednesday, March 1, 2023

In His Presence

“You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shade of the Almighty, Say to the Lord, “My refuge and fortress, my God in whom I trust.””— Psalms 91:1-2

 

This psalm is written about the psalmist who chose to be near (make your residence/habitat) God, even as near as in His dwelling place (for the Jews this meant within God’s temple in Jerusalem). He wrote it to describe the relationship he had with God because he abided in the shadow of the Almighty (so close to God and in position lower than Him so His shadow falls upon you, like that of the shadow provided under eagles wings) [This imagery connoted for the Jews being in the Holy of Hokies below the seraphim wings and the mercy seat upon which God’s presence rested (1 Kings 6). It gave the sense of absolute shelter and protection from anything and anyone to any person who had a close relationship with God that the person chose/desired to be with God above all else.]

 

The psalmist had such a close relationship with God that his daily habit and life put him always in God’s presence while considering himself lower than God. This relationship and his recognition of God’s greatness and his own smallness put him under God’s wings and at His mercy. He knew he was sheltered because of God’s mercy and love. We each can have this relationship with God, too.

 

Because of this, the psalmist could and did proclaim to/about God and others saw/heard, like the he wrote in verse 2,

 

 “My refuge and fortress,” the place where my heart dwells, the place where I always know I’m safe, where an impenetrable wall surrounds and protects me, that is my God, Elohim (supreme, all-powerful God). Elohim is the One I absolutely trust and before Whom I lay down my life. 

 

Each of us can proclaim this about God if we chose to know God like David did.

 

What kind of relationship do you have with God? Do you run to God in crisis or are you already in His presence? David loved God with all he was. He was in God’s presence while in the pasture, in the temple, and on the battlefield. David did not have to go be with God; he was always with Him. He recognized his small stature and placed himself under mighty God. David recognized who God is and who he, himself wasn’t. 

 

Running to God in crisis is a good and right action. When you do that, you show God you realize He is Elohim, almighty, and you have finite power and strength. You display who you absolutely trust. 

 

When you dwell in the shelter of Elohim, you never leave His presence in thought, word, action, or attitude. You acknowledge Elohim with your whole being. You choose to be with Him throughout each day. When you live this way, you never have to ask for refuge and fortress because you are already resting in it, in the shadow of God almighty.

 

I want to dwell with Elohim. I want to be in a close, intimate relationship with God. Lord, grow me so I do and be this. Teach me how to be under Your wings (in Your presence) whether I’m at church, in my quiet time, working, driving, or at home. Let my every breath breathe in the incense of Your presence.